Jessica Miller

Categories: Condolences, Student

It’s been three weeks now and I still feel the sadness. Sadness for Reed and Riley, for Rami, for Sean, for Emily, for Drew, for all the students affected, for all the staff, for all the families, friends, alumni, and for many others who have lost sleep and who feel this shared sorrow. But what I also feel is pride. I’m proud of my school for the way it’s come together and reacted to this situation. I’m proud of the students who were involved in the classroom shooting for their bravery. I’m proud of the professor who knew the right thing to do. I’m proud of the love and support. I’m proud to be a student at UNC Charlotte. If there’s something to take away from this situation, it’s that the students, staff, friends, and families affected are so strong and that Riley won’t be known as a victim, but a hero and that the memories of Reed and Riley will always be alive in our hearts, forever. I hope we can all look at this situation, not in regards to gun control, but from a socioeconomic, anthropological standpoint. My advice to all who read this — don’t draw hasty conclusions, support your fellow students, keep your heart open to all of those affects, stay strong, and never forget.