Anne McAllister

Categories: Condolences, Student

There are no words to convey the heartbreak felt throughout the UNC Charlotte community, but I do feel a sense of hopefulness in each image I see of students gathering together to grieve, to remember, and to heal. If I could have one more wish beyond wishing that time had altered its course around 5:30 last Tuesday, it would be that all of the students will again experience the excitement and joy that I sensed on campus just 24 hours earlier. The satisfaction of a job well done mixed with the excitement of what the future held was palpable. I remember overhearing a boy near Prospector talk about a presentation that he and his group had just finished recording. Although I lead a different life as an adult student, I understood the mixture of pride, satisfaction, and relief in his voice and was happy for him. I’m always in awe of what these kids can achieve, but my greatest hope is that they find peace again. I want them to experience that joyfulness again here at UNC Charlotte as they remember those they’ve lost.